The bicycle is killing the planet slowly but surely
Amsterdam, 28 december 2022– A banker friend made the economists think this when he told me and said:
Cycling is a disaster to the country’s economy.
– He/she doesn’t buy cars and doesn’t borrow money to buy.
– He/she doesn’t pay insurance policies.
– He/she doesn’t buy fuel, doesn’t pay to have the car serviced, and no repairs needed.
– He/she doesn’t use paid parking.
– He/she doesn’t cause any major accidents.
– And: no need for multi-lane highways.
– He/she is not getting obese.
Healthy people are not necessary or useful to the economy.
– They are not buying the medicine.
– They don’t go to hospitals or doctors.
– They add nothing to the country’s GDP.
On the contrary, each new McDonald’s store creates at least 30 jobs: actually 10 cardiologists, 10 dentists, 10 dietitians and nutritionists—obviously as well as the people who work in the store itself.”
Choose wisely: a bike or a McDonald’s? It’s something to think about.
PS: walking is even worse. Pedestrians don’t even buy a bicycle!
~ CEO of Euro Exim Bank Ltd. Emeric Sillo/Anton JieSamFoek